[Zope3-dev] site.zcml (ftesting.zcml) extension

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at projekt01.ch
Mon Apr 25 11:19:50 EDT 2005

Shane Hathaway wrote:

>Dominik Huber wrote:
>

>>We should have an application/framework-level hook within the site.zcml
>>that is processed before *-configure.zcml are invoked.
>>
>>Problem: A framework package 'b.x' registers a dedicated menu 'b_views'.
>>A package 'a.x' using 'b.x' should be able to register menu items
>>refering 'b_views'. The initialisation will fail because 'a.x' is loaded
>>before 'b.x' and therefore  'a.x' cant register any view to 'b_views'
>>because the menu does not exists yet.
>>
>>Proposed solution: package includes named *-app.zcml will be invoked
>>before the regular *-configure.zcml package includes (Compare example
>>site.zcml below)
>>
>>Any objections?
>>

>That might be a reasonable band-aid.  However, directives ought to have
>no load-time dependencies on other directives.  The configuration
>directives should defer any interconnections and registration until the
>whole configuration is loaded.

In principle +1, but their are still cases where that idealism will break.
Zope solves that problem using the direct include <include
package="zope.app" /> that is processed before the others *-configure.zcml.

It's the old dispute between holism and reductionism.
In the modern system theory it is the differentiation between heap and
system.
In that respect we need a way to register *parallel* systems
(applications or frameworks) including zope.app.

Regards,
Dominik