[Zope3-dev] Input widgets do too much

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Apr 25 17:44:22 EDT 2005

I'd like to make some changes to the widget API.

   http://www.zope.org/Zope3/MoreCleanupOfWidgets

proposes some cleanup, but I'd like to go farther.

I think widgets, especially IInputWidget have too much
responsibility, namely:

- validation

- applying changes

Widgets should be responsible for

- getting/managing user inputs, including
   conversion from raw input (but not validation).

- Rendering HTML

Giving widgets this responsibility makes them harder
to implement (leading to complex base classes) and
a bit hard to use when more control is needed.

I'd like to remove this functionality from widgets,
moving it to form code.

Thoughts? Questions?  Any objections to getting this into
3.1?  If not, I'll write a more detailed proposal.