[Zope3-dev] uniformly configurable request factories: bugfix or proposal?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Aug 4 22:40:46 EDT 2005

When trying to determine a plug point for some functionality we were
contemplating, Fred Drake and I were surprised to see that
zope.app.publication.httpfactory.HTTPPublicationRequestFactory
allowed for specifying the SOAP request factory, but not any of the
other request factories (HTTPRequest, BrowserRequest,
XMLRPCRequest).  This smells like an oversight/bug.  I'd like to fix
this for 3.1.

The fix should be fairly innocuous--follow the same pattern as the
soap request factory, but default to the standard request factories
(I could not do any default and just require the factory
registration, but that seems too big of a change for this stage of
3.1: """zapi.queryUtility(IBrowserRequest, BrowserRequest)""" feels
to be a much gentler change).

Does anyone object?  If so, do you object for 3.1, or generally?

Gary