[Zope3-dev] uniformly configurable request factories: bugfix or proposal?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Aug 4 23:25:01 EDT 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Thursday 04 August 2005 22:40, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> When trying to determine a plug point for some functionality we were
>> contemplating, Fred Drake and I were surprised to see that
>> zope.app.publication.httpfactory.HTTPPublicationRequestFactory
>> allowed for specifying the SOAP request factory, but not any of the
>> other request factories (HTTPRequest, BrowserRequest,
>> XMLRPCRequest).  This smells like an oversight/bug.  I'd like to fix
>> this for 3.1.
>>

> Shrug, this is a risky change. If something goes wrong there, a lot
> of code
> will be screwed. I agree it is fairly trivial to fix, but I would
> prefer it
> to be done right. I plan to address the entire HTTPRequest/
> Publication/...
> issue with the Twisted integration work.

Shrug.  :-)  OK.  I hope the Request is pluggable then, and that it
still uses (a descendent of) the current Zope 3 request object.

> For a specific application it would be as easy to write your custom
> HTTPPublicationRequestFactory.

Right, but currently that means you have to define your own server--
and instantiate it in zope.conf rather than the standard HTTP server
in order for it to be hooked in.  That's relatively easy, but *way*
heavier feeling than I wanted.  I wanted to add some functionality to
the request, not declare a new server type. :-/

Gary