[Zope3-dev] Re: uniformly configurable request factories: bugfix or proposal?

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Aug 5 10:00:38 EDT 2005

On Aug 4, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 04 August 2005 22:40, Gary Poster wrote:
>>

>>> When trying to determine a plug point for some functionality we were
>>> contemplating, Fred Drake and I were surprised to see that
>>> zope.app.publication.httpfactory.HTTPPublicationRequestFactory
>>> allowed for specifying the SOAP request factory, but not any of the
>>> other request factories (HTTPRequest, BrowserRequest,
>>> XMLRPCRequest).  This smells like an oversight/bug.  I'd like to fix
>>> this for 3.1.
>>
>> Shrug, this is a risky change. If something goes wrong there, a
>> lot of code
>> will be screwed. I agree it is fairly trivial to fix, but I would
>> prefer it
>> to be done right. I plan to address the entire HTTPRequest/
>> Publication/...
>> issue with the Twisted integration work.

> +1 for Gary's change:  I don't see any risk at all, if the default
> remains.

I agree, of course, but Stephan is release manager.  Stephan, I'll
try to convince you of this one more time over IRC. :-)  I think it's
a significant wart and oversight to have a component system that does
not allow you to choose a different component for the browser request
(when even another sort of request has the ability!).

It should minimally go in the trunk, so if Stephan rejects it as a
3.1 bugfix then I'll write it up as a small proposal, I suppose.

Gary