[Zope3-dev] Debugging a production server

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Thu Aug 11 12:24:20 EDT 2005

On Aug 11, 2005, at 12:03 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Does anyone have some suggestions for debugging a production
> server? In development mode, I'm quite accustomed to adding
> set_traces and restarting the server, but this is no good in a
> production environment.

Beyond what you already know (logging; copy the database and work on
another software instance; temporarily enable the debugging skin; run
ZEO and connect via zopectl debug to the database) there might be
another trick available.  In Zope 2 there is a handy Medusa-based
trick similar to the basic capabilities of Twisted's manhole I used
quite a while ago for this.  I can't find any reference to it in
zope.app.server though: anyone know if this made it to Zope 3?  (Jim
would know but is off-line still for another week and a half.)  It is
supposedly pretty easy to implement, because you are basically
leveraging Medusa, but that's hearsay.

Gary