[Zope3-dev] XML Schema support on Zope3

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Aug 12 14:06:54 EDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Julien Anguenot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started to add an XML Schema suppport on Zope3.

Great!

FWIW, I looked at this a couple of years ago and concluded that, with
a reasonable amount of work, zope interfaces could support all of
XMLSchema, but not vice versa.  I started thinking about namespace
extensions to XMLSchema to be able to express some of the
zope.interface capabilities, but discarded it, since the real
advantage we saw to XMLSchema is being able to use off-the-shelf
tools and interoperate easily.  So, while I think this can be an
exciting and compelling approach for some problem domains, IME you
won't get (useful) round-trip capabilities unless you constrain
yourself to the limitations of XMLSchema.  We weren't willing to
accept this at the time.

That's not to say I'm against it, at all: just an observation.

Gary