[Zope3-dev] XML Schema support on Zope3

Julien Anguenot ja at nuxeo.com
Tue Aug 16 07:31:23 EDT 2005

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> On Aug 12, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Julien Anguenot wrote:
>>
>>> I started to add an XML Schema suppport on Zope3.
>>

>> Great!
>>
>> FWIW, I looked at this a couple of years ago and concluded that,  with
>> a reasonable amount of work, zope interfaces could support all  of
>> XMLSchema, but not vice versa.

Sure, but if necessary we could add a 'zope' namespace for power users
who want to take advantage of all the zope.interface (schema) features
from XML but we need to be compliant with the standard XML Schema
specification so that it will not be compulsory to have any zope
knowledge to built zope compatible schemas from XML standard tools.

> BTW, the obvious following question to my email is "how are they
> insufficient"?  I did this two years ago, and sadly don't remember  the
> details, so feel free to ignore me as without proof.

I don't want to ignore you on this :) If you got pointers on the work
you did at this time it would be really appreciated :)

[...]

> So again, not intended to be throwing cold water, just observing.   For
> some use cases, such as making a system designed to be customized  by
> minimally-trained users (yours, AIUI), the advantages of XMLSchema  are
> likely more important than its disadvantages.

The point is mainly to be able to support XForms and as well, as you
mentionned, being able to let the framework "users" (integrators for
instance) define their schemas with tool and a technology they know
already...

Note, that after the XML schema is set on the interface it's possible to
 work and extend it as it was defined in "pure" Python so you get both
technology advantages.

Got time to help me on the implementation ? ;)

	J.

- --
Julien Anguenot | Nuxeo R&D (Paris, France)
CPS Platform : http://www.cps-project.org
Zope3 / ECM   : http://www.z3lab.org
mail: anguenot at nuxeo.com; tel: +33 (0) 6 72 57 57 66