[Zope3-dev] Florent's O-R blog entry

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Aug 23 14:36:57 EDT 2005

Gary Poster wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 1:11 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
>
>> FWIW, my concluding sentence would have been better written as
>> "Meanwhile, deciding that a community project require an O/R back  end
>> over FileStorage or DirectoryStorage, as Florent argues, feels  like a
>> significant case of "throwing the baby out with the bath  water"."
>

> Argh, communication.  That still could be too-easily misinterpreted,
> and I didn't stare at it long enough before I sent it.  One more try.
>
> Meanwhile, deciding that a community project require any specific
> backend--Ape, FileStorage, DirectoryStorage, or another--feels like a
> mistake.  Discarding FileStorage or DirectoryStorage, as Florent
> argues, is a significant case of "throwing the baby out with the bath
> water".  We have at least three maintained and capable ZODB backends,
> with different strengths and weaknesses, appropriate for different  use
> cases.  Lets not jump to discard any of them.

I agree 100%.  However, your concern is that projects will require a
specific ZODB backend, while my concern is that projects will dump ZODB
altogether.  I think the latter is the greater risk, and people need a
middle ground so they don't isolate themselves from the rest of the
community.  Ape could be a part of that middle ground.

Also, I did not intend to disparage the excellent FileStorage and
DirectoryStorage packages.  I always tell people to use FileStorage or
DirectoryStorage unless they have a good reason not to, and the biggest
reason not to use FileStorage (through-the-web code is hard to put under
version control) is already disappearing with Zope 3.

Shane