[Zope3-dev] [DRAFT] local portlets and perspectives

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Aug 26 11:27:36 EDT 2005

Jean-Marc Orliaguet wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Somehow related to the discussion on optimizing catalog queries, I have
> been thinking about how to best implement local portlets in cpsskins in
> terms of scalability, performance and functionality. The implementation
> is heavily dependent on being able to performance effective catalog
> queries (it is OK to wait 2 seconds in an ECMS to search 1 million
> documents, but it is not OK to have to wait 2 seconds to render a page
> containing portlets).
>
> Here is the proposal:
> http://www.z3lab.org/sections/blogs/jean-marc-orliaguet/2005_08_24_local-portlets
>
> It is built on the notion of "Perspective" (see the link) and on the
> idea of querying the catalog using triadic relations instead of joining
> sets of query results based on dyadic predicates (such as with RDF).

I'd like to make some substantive comments on the proposal.  My initial
reaction is that the solution proposed is very complex and I'm not at all
clear about the problem it solves. :)

I think I need to understand how themes work in CPS skins.  In particular,
I need to understand the relationships between themes, pages, sections,
cells, global portlets and local portlets.  Your proposal is based on
but doesn't really describe most of these concepts.  Can you recommnd
some documentation?