[Zope3-dev] Re: Catalog improvements

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Aug 29 05:04:11 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote at 2005-8-25 13:49 +0200:
>
>>... AdvancedQuery ...
>>I need to figure out the lazy sorting concept too and how to port it to
>>the Zope 3 catalog... I see elsewhere in the thread you also mention it
>>supports a simple form of joins, which is also very interesting.
>
> No, "AdvancedQuery" does not support joins.
>
> But, Python is a very powerful gluing language which allows you
> to implement simple joins yourself.

Okay, I misunderstood then. Of course Python allows one to implement
joins oneself. :) I don't think we want everybody to write their own
joins, though. It certainly cost me some headscratching thinking about
it, especially how to do it efficiently and express it compactly, and it
would be good if we could come up with a reasonably efficient solution
(using indexes?) in the Zope 3 core. We could even start it out as not
being very efficient -- it would already be useful to have an
abstraction present and we can always make it more efficient in the future.

Regards,

Martijn