[Zope3-dev] Re: XML header and TAL interpretor

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Aug 31 10:25:23 EDT 2005

Julien Anguenot wrote:

>>>I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Because once Zope3's macros are XML
>>>mode, all other templates using those macros need to be XML mode. That,
>>>in turn, means that all templates need to carry the <?xml ...?>
>>>processing instruction because that's the only way XML mode is currently
>>>triggered. Since that processing instruction is optional (as opposed to
>>>namespace declarations which are mandatory), I wouldn't want to force it
>>>on template authors.
>
> I'm ok if we could have the default processing mode to XML on PT.
>
> Could someone explain me why two different processing modes exist ?

HTML4 mode exists because

<hr/> etc.

- it keeps <script src="foo.js"></script> and doesn't mangle it into
<script src="foo.js" /> which seems to confuse IE (Paul just told me).
However, there's a simple workaround for XML mode: introduce whitespace
in between opening and closing tag (e.g. a blank space).

- it enforces some HTML document type (as mentioned before); no idea why
it does that

- ... some of the authors and/or current maintainers such as Fred might
now more and probably even more important points.

Philipp