[Zope3-dev] RFC: undeprecate auto-message id translation

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Dec 6 12:07:08 EST 2005

Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
[snip]
> * currently you can translate any string (not only a message id) like this:

> In this case the string will be automatically converted to message id
> and then translated. I think we definitely shouldn't translate any
> string, only message ids.

This is an interesting usecase. If I understand you correctly, the
question, put a bit broader, is the following:

Should this translate whatever string (not message id) is returned from
some/call or should it leave it alone?

You seem to be arguing it shouldn't. I can also see a usecase where this
would be handy -- you can just add the string to your translation
dictionary without having to mark anything in your codebase. This is a
*disadvantage* if you're already using extraction tools, though.

Regards,

Martijn