[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Dec 7 09:15:52 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Looking for your comments at http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifySkinning.
> This is a follow-up proposal from http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope3-dev/444.

I rather like having the *concept* skin to talk about. While
implementation-wise things may become cleaner, being able to talk about
a skin is I think a bit more clear than if you talk about skin layers.

Similarly, I think it's a useful concept to talk to a layout developer
about 'layers' as a separate concept, to indicate to them that a layer
is not something necessarily directly exposed to an end user. I think
that this use case is less strong than the one for maintaining the word
'skin', though.

In various use cases, for instance Silva, there's a class of users that
just wants to select from a list of skins installed for their site, and
has no knowledge of how they're implemented. You don't want to show all
layers to them.

It would therefore be nice to have a way to mark particular skin layers
as actual skins you want to expose to end-users, not just as things
useful as a building block. This is something we use the skin mechanism
for now, and that facility would, if I understand it correctly, go away
in this proposal.

Regards,

Martijn