[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Dec 7 10:18:48 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 09:15, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>In various use cases, for instance Silva, there's a class of users that
>>just wants to select from a list of skins installed for their site, and
>>has no knowledge of how they're implemented. You don't want to show all
>>layers to them.
>
> Why not? Currently there is only one layer more than there are skins, namely
> the IDefaultLayer. Whenever I write a layer I also write a skin, and this has
> been really annoying.

Please remember, Zope 3 core is not all the applications that use Zope
3. In Zope 3 core, currently there's only one more layer than there are
skins. This is not necessarily true for all applications that use Zope 3.

>>It would therefore be nice to have a way to mark particular skin layers
>>as actual skins you want to expose to end-users, not just as things
>>useful as a building block. This is something we use the skin mechanism
>>for now, and that facility would, if I understand it correctly, go away
>>in this proposal.
>
> Right, if this deems necessary, it would be very easy to tag on another type
> interface specifying a skin in comparison to a regular layer.

My point is to make people aware of this use case. It may be something
we have to solve on the application side with tagging, etc, but it would
also mean the framework is doing less for us than it is doing now, where
we can just ask for a list of skins.

Regards,

Martijn