[Zope3-dev] Twisted Publisher and Zope 2

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 7 10:29:16 EST 2005

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> The most important project here, IMO, is to rewire Zope 2
>>> to use the Zope 3 publisher.  And, of course, to update the
>>> Zope 3 publisher with features from the Zope 2 publisher that
>>> are missing from the Zope 3 publisher (e.g. streaming).
>>

>> +10
>>
>> Please don't anyone write a "new zope 2" publisher, lets just get the
>> Zope 3 one to replace the Zope 2 one and keep bringing the two
>> branches closer and closer together :-)
>

> I support any scenario where we can replace bits of Zope 2 with Zope 3. :)
>
> I think we'll see a scenario where old new will coexist for a while. The
> Zope 2 publisher has all kinds of wonderful cruft in it, and each bit of
> cruft is likely to be doing something useful for someone somewhere. For
> backwards compatibility reasons, we'll need to continue to support it
> for some time.
>
> That's a problem for WSGI, I guess, though, if the Zope 3 publisher is
> needed for WSGI support... Perhaps we can do something like "from this
> point in my publication process, dive into the Zope 2 publisher, and
> forget about Zope 3 for now". Applications that rely on Zope 2 publisher
> features can have this toggled on.
>
> Then again, my understanding of the publisher model in both Zopes is
> definitely incomplete. What's your thinking concerning backward
> compatibility, Jim?

We need it.  We also need a single publisher.  We are (almost) at the beginning
of a new development cycle.  We should be ambitios and try to make it
possible to use the Zope 3 puublisher in Zope 2 *and* provide backward
compatibility.  I'm not positive that it is possible, but I am extremely
hopeful that it is and think it's worth a try.  We need to start soon
though and not wait until a month before the feature freeze.