[Zope3-dev] Twisted Publisher and Zope 2

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Wed Dec 7 10:51:32 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:
> --On 7. Dezember 2005 10:29:16 -0500 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> We need it.  We also need a single publisher.  We are (almost) at
>> the beginning of a new development cycle.  We should be ambitios
>> and try to make it possible to use the Zope 3 puublisher in Zope 2
>> *and* provide backward compatibility.
>
> Backward compatibility must be the major goal for porting Z3 parts to
> Z2. In the future will have two major release each year. People
> deploying enterprise-level applications on top of Zope 2 must have
> the feeling that their application will run in one or two yrs when
> switching to a newer Zope version without major problems.

Agreed with Andreas. I also agree with Jim that it makes sense to be
ambitious. I suspect we'll end up with a two-pronged approach --
introduce the Zope 3 publisher with as much backwards compatibility we
can provide, but also make sure that the old publisher code (with *all*
backwards compatibility) can be used if desired.

Regards,

Martijn