[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning

Dominik Huber dominik.huber at perse.ch
Thu Dec 8 05:45:28 EST 2005

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

>Thanks for the input so far, please revise it and let me know if
>you see any other issues.

+1 I like it. Thank you!

>>Your connotation assertion here is incorrect. The default layer stands for:
>>"If the browser directive did not specify a layer, use the default layer." By
>>default, the Basic and thus Rotterdam skin incorporate that layer, but others
>>like Dominik and Garrett do not want to include that layer.
>>

>Right. I wonder if we should make the 'layer' argument mandatory then. Right now we have
>the connotation "You can leave the layer argument out in which case Zope will use some
>arbitrary layer that might or might not be in your skins and is boldly called 'default'."

I find the current optional layer argument ok. In our current pratice we
allways use the default for the basic or general views of a package.
This offers a simple way to configure a
out-of-the-box-general-purpose-administration-skin like the Rotterdam
whitout the drawback that such a general skin should have to know a
dedicated layer itself. If we provide other dedicated layers we always
do additional registrations to those layers.

A  fairly usefull pattern that becomes manifest in our pratice:
1. Layers for one or more features belonging together. For such a unit
we define three different layers that
    covers the following aspects of an application:
  -> minimal_feature layer: Invisible functionality like traverser that
should be there even if there is no ui
  -> user_feature layer: All views for general end-user usage
  -> admin_featur layer: Views for administration purposes.
(One example for a minimal layer tiks
svn://svn.tiks.org/repos/Tiks/trunk/src/tiks/skins/minimal)

2. Those feature layers are used to compose the a custom skin afterwards.
-> pretty modular and clearly arranged whitout beeing to granular.

3. Because we still register to the default layer a general zmi like the
rotterdam skin can be used too.
->this is cool, because everybody can use its favority general-purpose
skin and it doesn't hurts his
brain to guess where he should configure something (compared to plone in
hybrid zope2/plone applications)

Maybe we should introduce a minimal_zope_core and other important layers
which might simplify such application for all parties.

Regards,
Dominik