[Zope3-dev] Re: Twisted Publisher and Zope 2

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Dec 8 13:57:10 EST 2005

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On 8. Dezember 2005 11:47:10 -0500 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Yep. Nobody has complained to us about this yet. I personally do not use
>>> ZEO,  so I could not fix the issue anyways.
>>

>> If twisted and ZEO are incompatible, then twisted needs *never* to be
>> the default;  ZEO is an essential part of Zope's "real world" story.  I
>> can't imagine even  *developing* without ZEO, much less deploying
>> applications in production.
>>

> This raises the question about what projects are important and what are
> the risks. Replacing the publisher appears to me like "nice-to-have"
> project but it does not appear so important to me. I would prefer to get
> e.g. the ZPT implementation from Z3 into Z2. This would resolve
> hopefully most of the current annoyances with ZPT in Z2.

Cool, then work on it.

Twisted integration was important to the people who worked on it.
No one asked *you* to work on it.

For myself, I think it is pretty important to:

- Support WSGI well, as that gives people a lot more flexibility
   on how to deploy Zope.

- Get out of the network server business. In a year or two, I'll
   be quite happy not to support ZServer anymore.

Are these the things *I* would have done first, maybe not, but I didn't
do most of the work.

It has to be pretty discouraging to Stephan to get these sort of complaints.
That's just not fair.

Change entails risk.  A change to the ZPT machinery is bound to introduce
problems that need to be fixed.  That's why we need people to contribute
by testing things.