[Zope3-dev] RFC: Simplify Skinning Redux

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Dec 12 02:53:40 EST 2005

Hi there,

after a good discussion with Steve Alexander, I gave my Simplify Skinning proposal
(http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifySkinning) yet another overhaul.

Basically, it now proposes to go one step further: Layers and skins will always be simple
interfaces extending IBrowserRequest. The only difference between skins and layers is
that only skins are registered as local utilities under a human readable name whereas
layers are plain old boring interfaces with no extra marker (it's not needed at all).

Along with that we can get rid of the <browser:skin /> and <browser:layer /> ZCML
directives and simply reuse existing, much simpler directives from the standard Component
Architecture (<interface /> and <utility />). This is not only a good step towards
reducing the ZCML directive proliferation, it's also a reflection of what's going on
under the hood. If we simplify under the hood, the Zope 3 developer should benefit from
that simplification as well. That's now happening.

The rest of the changes deal with small harmonizations that should make the understanding
of certain patterns easier (if they're always the same).

Looking-for-comments-as-usual-ly

Philipp