[Zope3-dev] Twisted Publisher and Zope 2

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Mon Dec 12 13:18:48 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 09:19:39AM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
| >| Note that the Z3 publication framework splits functionality
| >| currently provided by the Z2 publisher into a publisher and a
| >| publication object.  An initial step might be top come up with
| >| a Z2 publication object that works with the Z3 publisher.

Here's a status report:

I've started a Z2 publication object in the 'publication-refactor'
branch of Zope 2.

I am not 100% sure this is what you had in mind, but basically i've
broke down the 'publish' method from ZPublisher.Publish into the
methods of IPublication, and it seems to have mapped quite well with
some minor exceptions.

I haven't gotten around to implementing the traverseName method, which
will need some deep surgery on ZPublisher.BaseRequest.

Now, what I have in mind moving forward is to replace the code in
ZPublisher.Publish and ZPublisher.BaseRequest to use the Zope 2
IPublication instead of duplicating code once I'm done with
implementing the interface.

My only fear so far is that there might be some issues with the
request object itself being not 100% backwards compatible, but I think
we can have backwards compatibility implemented as an adapter from the
Zope 3 request to Zope 2 request.

How does that sound?

--
Sidnei da Silva