[Zope3-dev] Certification: Support platforms different from Linux?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 14 10:47:06 EST 2005

Christian Theune wrote:
> Hi,
>
> although Zope runs on platforms different than Linux, we'll have a hard
> time to certify it on multiple platforms. Usually a very specific system
> configuration is given, like "Windows 2003 with Service Pack XY and
> Hotfixes A, B and C".
>
> I think we can get around that by making a small amount of assumptions
> on the Linux kernel (e.g. large file support, memory, newer than 2.X.Y)
> and don't go into distribution details. Additionally I'll describe the
> source installation as the certified way of installing Zope, so we won't
> be depending on any kind of package machinery.
>
> So my question is: Does anybody think it will be a problem for Zope
> beeing CC certified only on Linux?

Yes.  The customers of ours most likely to care about this
use Windows.  I would say in general, for better or worse, the decision
makers who would care about CC would also care about Windows.  I suspect that
the decision makers who care about linux would me likely to understand
that the platform doesn't matter that much and that certification for Windows
should make them feel warm and fuzzy about their Linux installations.