[Zope3-dev] Re: View lookup changes in Zope 3.2?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Dec 15 11:47:11 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
[snip]
>  > Or am I wrong in even imagining this would be desirable?
>
> I think so.  If there are custom views for more specific interfaces,
> it is likely those custom views provide features that your generic
> view doesn't.  It would be a bit unkind for your view to override
> those.

I can see that...

I have to consider what this means in practice -- with a skin you often
want complete control over what users see. If suddenly bits of Zope 3
pop up for your end user, that'll be very disconcerting; often I really
don't want that to happen.

Then again, in practice this might not happen, as your end user may not
be capable of creating such objects anyway in an application; if they
could you would've skinned them... Not sure...

One troublesome scenario I can imagine is that if I make my total skin
in Zope 3.n, it works, and then Zope 3.n + 1 is released and it has a
more specific view registered for some content object that I'm using. I
was relying on having skinned the more general interface, but suddenly
in Zope 3.n + 1 I get the Zope 3 view. That'd be bad.

So, I'm not sure whether or not this ability is compromised in practice
with this bugfix...

Regards,

Martijn