[Zope3-dev] XXX Roundup

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Sat Dec 17 16:06:05 EST 2005

On Dec 16, 2005, at 4:20 PM, Benji York wrote:
> Gary zope/i18n/format.py:141 and 149

(Not entirely sure why Benji blessed me with this assignment ;-) ,
but...)

As I wrote before, this is an evil bug caused by a misuse of pytz
code: timezones in this code can be pickled, but then not unpickled,
so they lie in wait, waiting to explode next time you try to get the
object .  Exciting!

Jim and I have agreed that the best way to approach this is to offer
a patch to Stuart for an intelligently-persistable offset-based
timezone, such as that found in zope.app.datetimeutils, and then use
that in the 18n code.

I don't have time for that this weekend, and there's no guarantee we
could even get an ok from Stuart for this in time.

I also have an approach that pukes when you try to persist one of
these timezones, but then some of the timezones returnable from the
method are persistable, and some not: another fairly evil trap.

If someone else has desire and time to tackle this, go for it.  If
not, I'll try to do it on Monday.

Stuart, if you happen to read this, giving your blessing to such a
patch would be very cool. ;-)

Gary