[Zope3-dev] why security proxy the modules for a menu item directive?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 21 06:42:41 EST 2005

Gary Poster wrote:
> zope/app/publisher/browser/menu.py, line 132, security proxies the
> 'modules' name.  This is pretty annoying, and seems unnecessary to me
> for a zcml filter: trusted filesystem code.  Anyone want to defend it?

Not only will I not defend it, I'll go so far as to prosecute it. :)

This is probably a holdover from the early Zope 3 ZPT implementation that,
like the Zope 2 implementation, didn't make a distinction between trusted
and untrusted code.

Jim

P.S. Lennart Regebro has pointed out to me that the menu-filtering aproach
      is much in need of repair or refactoring. Maybe a nice project
      for the next release cycle.