[Zope3-dev] datetimeutils: add localize datetime?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Tue Feb 1 07:12:25 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 07:00, Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> It looks like it extensible enough to handle the funkiest date
> strings, and has full support for timezones, even reading timezone
> info from .ics (iCalendar) files and from timezone files on
> the operating system.

Any parser not based on locales is not acceptable for a server-system like
Zope. The ICU system, which we use, originated out of years of experience
with Java at Sun and IBM.

How would the Parser handle:

"Dienstag, 1. Februar 2005 12:01:00"
"Jeudi, Fevrier 1, 2005"

Parsers should really just accept datetimes that you want them to accept.
There is an inherent ambiguity. For example, it became fashion in the US
(sigh) to use the dot for dates sometimes. So is "1.2.2005" January 2nd, 2005
or February 1st, 2005?

BTW, I will veto (as much as I can) any inclusion of such guessin g functions.
It is just not right.

Regards,
Stephan
--