[Zope3-dev] Local authentication

Albertas Agejevas alga at pov.lt
Tue Feb 1 15:02:22 EST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:43:31PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
> You aren't going to get away with completely automatic configuration.
> You might prefer to configure everything through ZCML, if you could.

Got it, thanks.

> I'll note that, so far, you've been very general.

The project is SchoolBell -- an open-source calendaring server.  We
want to have an app that contains people objects, which in turn have
calendars.  We want people to be able to log in and edit their
calendars and do other things as allowed by the local grants.

We see two modes of operation SchoolBell might be used in:

 - a stand-alone app, a tweaked Zope 3 instance with SchoolBell as the
   root object

 - a content type addable through the ZMI.

We don't want to burn the bridges to either of those modes yet.

> >  2. Roll our own authentication service (the interface is pretty
> >     simple), and create a site stub on our to hold that service.
> >     The challenge here is to make our stub site to interoperate
> >     correctly with other local sites.
>
> Right, if you don't need the configurability that the pluggable
> authentication utility was designed to provide, it should be simple
> to provide your own.

OK, suppose we make our top-level object an ISite.  Do you think it
would be simpler to get our own authentication utility registered in
the default implementation of SiteManager, or a hardwired custom
ISiteManager implementation would be simpler?

Thanks,
Albertas