[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Feb 17 06:21:09 EST 2005

[moving this to zope3-dev]

Stephan Richter wrote:

>>>This seems like an entirely reasonable thing to do before the next
>>>release.  It shouldn't take a volunteer more than an afternoon.  :-)
>>
>>So the 3.1 release will not happen before this has been done by some
>>volunteer? :)
>

> Exactly. Or it is converted to a TODO. The release policy is that the code
> must be free of XXX comments for a release. I spent a whole lot of time (like
> about 1-2 weeks) removing and converting XXX comments for the X3.0 release.
> Not having XXX comments in a release is part of our quality assurance.

So many ways of holding up a release is asking for trouble in my mind.
You not only have to resolve issues in the issue tracker (which at least
can be deferred to a following release), but have to actually *solve*
all XXX issues from the codebase that anyone could've added. The only
person I know brave and productive enough to actually do that is Stephan
Richter, and Stephan Richter alone does not an open source project make.

I think the release process for Zope 3 should focus a bit less on
quality assurance and a bit more on actually releasing it. Zope 3 is
already much higher quality than Zope 2 ever was or ever will be. But
the features are not reaching the developers -- if you want to do a
release in the foreseeable future, you should definitely not develop
against the Zope 3 trunk.

The only reproducable way I know of to do a release (sort-of) on time is
to *ignore* certain issues for the time being and defer them into the
future. You can always do a bugfix release, or, since your next release
is coming up in a forseeable future, just wait until the next release.

"Release early, release often" -- Zope 3 is missing out on a lot of
opportunities for open source contributions here. People are not going
to be attracted to the Zope 3 platform with only a single release out
and nothing else in sight.

Yes, I know I'm sounding like a broken record here.

Regards,

Martijn