[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Thu Feb 17 12:35:28 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> "Release early, release often" -- Zope 3 is missing out on a lot of
>> opportunities for open source contributions here. People are not
>> going to be attracted to the Zope 3 platform with only a single
>> release out and nothing else in sight.

I see the trunk as Zope's 'release early and often' strategy. I think
this is a smart, pracitcal way to get new features into people's hands
(early and often) without incurring the overhead of a formal release.

The fact that so many Zope 3 developers use the trunk suggests that the
community sees it this way.

>> Yes, I know I'm sounding like a broken record here.
>
> Especially since I and others already agree with you.  We are going
> to switch to regular releases, but it's going to take some effort to
> get that started.

I hope we don't become too conservative with this approach. There's a
thin line between encouraging high quality commits and discouraging
contributions because the perceived quality expectations are very high.

This isn't a huge concern, as the community is outstanding at supporting
contributions and encouraging developers to 'go the extra mile' to get
things right. But if we become infatuated with 'hitting dates' and
'super high quality code', we will probably see frustration levels
increase, not decrease.

 -- Garrett