[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 release planning

Lennart Regebro regebro at nuxeo.com
Thu Feb 17 12:41:07 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> Honestly, what does a release do that the trunk does not offer, if we ignore
> bugs and XXX statements?

In addition to the things you mentioned:

It offers a stable place to be. Instead of saying "I'm using the trunk,
I checked out uhm...Febraury sometime", you have a version number saying
"This is tested with 2.56.2", which is much better. Yes, I know with SVN
there are revision numbers, but I don't think many people want to say to
their customers "I only support the SVN trunk revision 345783, you'll
have to check that out before I can look at your problem".

It offers a version for debug reporting.

It offers easy to download packages in tgz, exe and maybe even rpm formats.

It offers a checkpoint for package managers for RedHat and debian to
update their packages.

It offers a checkpoint for Five. Until a new version comes out, Five
will stay at 3.0.0, because we can't hook up to a moving code base.

> The high-quality mandate of the Zope 3 development process gives our trunk
> more stability than many other project's releases.

We gives us no excuse NOT to release often.

> I think that all three of those are very important, but I am not sure they are
> a reason to release prematurely.

We should never release prematurely, obviously. The question is "when is
prematurely?" Since we have a stable trunk we CAN release often. In
fact, the only time it would not be premature to release is if no
feature at all has been added since the last release. :)