[Zope3-dev] RE: [Zope3-checkins] SVN: Zope3/trunk/src/ZEO/tests/test_cache.py Mergerev 29194 from ZODB 3.3 branch.

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:29:49 EST 2005

>> Log message for revision 29196:
>>   Merge rev 29194 from ZODB 3.3 branch.
>>   setUp():  Use a much smaller (than default) ZEO client cache.
>>   Cool:  testSerialization was one of the slowest tests before, but
>>   is 100x faster now.

[Roger Ineichen]
> Tests before update:
>
> D:\projektCompiler\trunk>python test.py -pv
> Ran 6775 tests in 916.570s
>
> after update:
>
> D:\projektCompiler\trunk>python test.py -pv
> Ran 6778 tests in 633.957s
>
> OK
>
> Thanks it works like a charme.
>
> Do you have more of this speedup ;-)

If you're willing to give me credit for anything good that appears to
happen, but nothing bad, sure <wink>.

There wasn't a significant difference in overall speed on my box.
testSerialization specifically dropped from about 18 seconds to about
0.15 seconds, and for an obvious reason (the size of a string it
created dropped from 200MB to 1MB, with a corresponding decrease in #
of file bytes read and written).  I don't have a theory for why
anything else would speed up, unless that one-shot 200MB boost in the
process highwater mark used to cause you to run out of physical RAM,
and so start swapping madly to disk.

For some things in life, it's best not to think too much <0.9 wink>.