[Zope3-dev] RFC: zcml:condition

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Feb 21 05:51:11 EST 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote at 2005-2-18 12:09 +0100:

>>Not as powerful as before, which is good.
>
> -1

I wasn't proposing something here, so it's rather weird that you say -1..

Presumably you are suggesting that the more power, the better? I do not
think that is true in all cases.

>>External ZCML processors might
>>mostly try to ignore this, though that also depends on how conflicts are
>>dealt with -- see my question below.
>
> In another message use gave pretty printing and validation
> as examples. I think, they could ignore it without problem...

I also listed analysis tools, which do not exist yet, but why make life
harder on them?

The general principle is to keep the language declarative and try to
keep it independent from external state. The more such dependencies you
add to it the lesser the chance any static analysis tool can make sense
of it without having to load up the full Zope 3 codebase, and I also
think the understandability for the user also decreases.

A conditional dependent on the execution of a function defined in Python
*will* make analysis of at least that conditional impossible witout
requiring the full Zope 3 codebase to be loaded (as you don't know what
it will import).

There are of course already other issues with such analysis, such as
implements() and now adapts(), but at least static analysis has a hope
in figuring that out in most cases.

Regards,

Martijn