[Zope3-dev] Local site configuration is too hard

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Mon Feb 21 12:46:55 EST 2005

Roger Ineichen wrote:

>> - Adding and activating a registration is analogous to installing the
>> RPM package
>
> I think that's a good idea.
> but...
> Let's say we have a openoffice as a utility. There are more ways
> to activate the openoffice.
>
> Let's say somebody like to use just the writer part and others like
> install the openoffice at all.

I think you just introduced a unit that's higher than a utility -- like
a software suite. You don't actually need this though...

> I think here we need some predefined configuration 'set'
> instead of 'if you don't activate all, do it by yourself'

You can achive a 'set' (i.e. a containment) of software objects using
dependencies. I.e. 'A requires B and C' can be viewed as your 'set'
where A is the container. The advantage is subtle but huge (software
management systems that use separate containers become insanely complex,
for no benefit).

> I would say there is a difference or one more step in install
> and configure. In one of this steps we have to find out why or
> for what (providing) the utility should be registred or activated.

Certainly -- installation and configuration are separate issues.

 -- Garrett