[Zope3-dev] IGroupFolder instead of isinstance?

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Feb 22 17:22:34 EST 2005

Is there a reason why we don't use a IGroupFolder interface?

I see some problems for future implementations like described
in the groupfolder.txt in zope.app.authentication.browser

----
[...] groups need to be defined in it's group folder.
Other groups folders or group-defining plugins could
define groups for a group.
----

because:

In the class zope.app.authentication.groupfolder.py

There is a check against a instance instead asking for
providing a interface?

for name, groupfolder in groupfolders:
        # It's annoying that we have to filter here, but there isn't
        # a good reason for people to register group folder utilities.
        if not isinstance(groupfolder, GroupFolder):
               ^^^^^^^^^^
            continue
        principal.groups.extend(
            groupfolder.getGroupsForPrincipal(principal.id),
            )

or are events more private and we have to implement own
events for custom implementations? This looks like the event
was added specialy for one implementation.

Regards
Roger Ineichen
Projekt01 GmbH
www.projekt01.ch