[Zope3-dev] mini-RFC: times and timezones

Garrett Smith garrett at mojave-corp.com
Thu Feb 24 11:17:41 EST 2005

Gary Poster wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> A datetime without a tz is either UTC or "dont care", which is known
>> to the application. I've found this to work pretty well.
>
> Except this is not explicit--with that approach, a datetime without a
> tz may be either, as you said.  You have to know what generated the
> datetime in order to know the meaning.  I think we've experience pain
> with this sort of guessing/implicit knowledge pattern in the past.

This is the key. I'm not aware of the specific problems you've faced in
the past.

The only dates I'm aware of in Zope are uses of now() generated for
events. I can't think of a reason not to always use utcnow(), which
means that all dates in Zope are UTC.

What are some cases in which we need to store tz info?

 -- Garrett