[Zope3-dev] User Preferences System

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:43:18 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

as you might have read in the checkin messages, I have checked in a user
preferences system. It is currently located inside the `apidoc` package,
because it is more or less a protype, but I needed it for apidoc.

I am very happy about the way it turned out and it might be the beginning of a
very flexible user preferences framework. The basic idea is that you use
schemas to specify your preferences. Each schema represents a preferences
group. The preferences (groups) can then be easily accessed via traversal
paths, which makes them ideal for TAL.

For more details see src/zope/app/apidoc/preference/README.txt

I would like to start discussing such a system and see how it would need to be
changed to accomedate broader range use cases.

Some of the nice properties of the current system:

* Easily accessible in TAL

* You can specify special edit screens for each reference group.

* Very easy to use, i.e. you create a schema and register it as a preference
group.

* Preferences paths can be as complex as you like. Thus any hierarchical
structure is supported. There is currently no ZCML support for this, but it
is possible.

Regards,
Stephan
--