[Zope3-dev] Re: ISourceQueriables/ISourceQueryView

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jan 3 12:44:46 EST 2005

Roger Ineichen wrote:
> Hi together
>
> I don't like the ISourceQueriables implementation.
> e.g. PAS and grant.html view

Me neither. :)

> If we setup widgets the source get's queried in a
> way that the source information get lost.
>
> The widget which gets rendered knows nothing of it's
> source. There is no way to display information in
> the label of the search field of the source.

The source-query view has the source as a context.
It could display information about the source.

> This means we get a lot of search input fields
> with the lable "Search String"
>
> Should I fix this restriction?

What restriction.

> I propose to add more attributes in the method
> render of the interface ISourceQueryView.

This doesn't make sense. Are you *really* suggesting
adding attributes to the method?

> This method should at least support information
> which gets rendered as the lable of the search field.

The rendering of the search form is the responsibilty
of the render method.  (Note that this is a search form.
It may have more than one field.)

Are you suggesting that clients of ISourceQueryView
should display labels, rather than the render method?

> Or a better soloution could be to make use of subwidgets
> in the SourceInputWidget's __call__ method.
> And support widgets for each source.

Why subwidgets? Subwidgets of what?  ISourceQueryView
actually specified a widget-like thing.

> I think usesing (sub)widgets for sources is the better way and
> each source can provide widgets whit enough information about
> its source. (I'm not shure at this time if this works)
 >
> Does anybody have other plans? Or should I go and add
> subwidgets for sources?

As I said above, source query views are widget like.

But perhaps I don't know what you are proposing.