[Zope3-dev] singular for package names and modules

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Jan 4 10:12:13 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 09 December 2004 18:56, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>>I wonder what was up with the rule to use the singular for package and
>>module names, like for instance Twisted and PyPy do consistency. I've
>>seen more and more packages and modules get added over time that do not
>>seem to follow this rule. Has it been abandoned?
>

> I think we never had this rule; at least I am not aware of it, but I am
> willing to make it one.

The idea was introduced when we were refactoring the whole hierachy
naming way back when at the Rotterdam sprint. I know I made some wiki or
mailing list postings about it, but can't find it quickly. The new
hierarchy names were created with this rule in mind, though. We followed
this reasonably well for a while, though there always were exceptions
like 'tests' packages and some other places it wasn't applied very strictly.

>>I quite like the rule, as it makes it very predictable for a developer.
>>You never have to worry about whether it's 'thing' or 'things'.
>
> I agree.

That's a good start. :)

Regards,

Martijn