[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1? Ane rough feeling for release date?

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Mon Jan 10 09:36:40 EST 2005

On Monday 10 January 2005 09:06, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/RoadMap
>
> Well, December 2004 has come and passed. ;) Any ideas on how far away
> X3.1 could be?
>
> I'm just inquiring because I'm doing some work on Five, and I would like
> to move that work up past X3.0, because of some changes in Zope3 making
> that work much easier. It would feel MUCH nicer to do so if I knew X3.1
> was coming soon.

It iwll take a while. There is currently no rush. I have been working on some
major, major changes that will take some time to stabilize and ensure BBB
for. I think it will not happen in the next 3 months (for the final release).

Here are some of the highlights though:

- Simplification of Component Architecture; this includes the removal of
services, the concrete implementation of views, simplification of the
registration framework, restructuring of persistent modules, ... Note that
the pattern "view" will not go way, since a view is simply a multiadapter
whose last object is a request. I think another pattern that emerges is that
unnamed utilities will have the same meaning as services.

- The changes above will cause a restructuring of the site managament UI as
well.

- New pluggable authentication utility. This is a reinterpretation of the new
Zope 2 PAS. Several plugins have been written for it already.

- New workflow implementation. Jim is working on an activity-based workflow
system that supports XPDL.

- New Source frameowrk. Sources will eventually replace vocabularies as they
separate data and presentation better.

Did I forget anything?

Regards,
Stephan