[Zope3-dev] Zope X3.1? Ane rough feeling for release date?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Jan 10 13:25:49 EST 2005

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 10 January 2005 09:06, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
>>http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/RoadMap
>>
>>Well, December 2004 has come and passed. ;) Any ideas on how far away
>>X3.1 could be?
>>
>>I'm just inquiring because I'm doing some work on Five, and I would like
>>to move that work up past X3.0, because of some changes in Zope3 making
>>that work much easier. It would feel MUCH nicer to do so if I knew X3.1
>>was coming soon.
>

> It iwll take a while. There is currently no rush. I have been working on some
> major, major changes that will take some time to stabilize and ensure BBB
> for. I think it will not happen in the next 3 months (for the final release).

I don't want to be annoying and whine while I don't contribute, but what
happened to:

"Depending on community distributions, we are thinking about releasing
X3.1 in December, 2004. This release will include several cleanups to
the framework and feature the new Pluggable Authentication Service (PAS)
and Workflow packages."

(I assume 'distributions' needs to be 'contributions').

I don't think we can say the *only* reason for this 3 month delay is
lack of community contributions. Release planning has an effect on it.
If you know you're going to release soon, you avoid landing huge changes
just ahead of it, for instance.

It's fine if the planning changes, but this planning seemed to have
changed rather dramatically without anyone hearing about it until now.

What went wrong with the planning? How can we prevent this kind of
release slippage from happening again in the future?

I know part of the answer is "we need more community contributions", but
those will also come more often if people know their contributions will
be included in a release in the forseeable future so they can plan
deployment. That this is happening is clear from Lennart's question. So
please come up with additional answers :)

I'll again mention time based releases and their merits. Could we go at
least a bit more time-based with Zope 3?

Regards,

Martijn

P.S. Yes, I need to take my own advice to heart and work on a new Five
release.. :)