[Zope3-dev] Re: Site configuration UI (was New Software Space UI)

Paul Everitt paul at zope-europe.org
Tue Jan 11 04:56:36 EST 2005

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Paul Everitt wrote:

>> Finally, I realized that CMF and Plone (perhaps CPS too, need to ask
>> Florent) have facilities for TTW site configuration.  I made a 3.4 Mb
>> narrated Flash movie as a tour of the Plone UI for site management:
>>

>> http://zea.zope-europe.org/~paul/movies/z3siteman/z3siteman_media/z3siteman.swf

>> c. It's pretty easy for package developers to plug into this via a
>> configlet system (as shown in the Kupu part).
>

> Can you provide any pointers to these APIs?

CMF provides a convention that packages should have an
Extensions/Install.py module with an install function.  CMF packages
that observe this convention get listed in Plone Setup's add-on
management screen.

Extended information about the package can also be listed.  For example,
the version comes from version.txt and other information can be made
available.  For example, ArchGenXML can encode this package information
as tagged values:

   http://plone.org/documentation/archetypes/archgenxml-manual
   (scroll down to "Tagged Values" in the Classes in General" section)

ArchGenXML also has some tagged values to cover this.  More information
on configlets:

   http://plone.org/documentation/howto/configure-configlets

In Zope 3, would this (science fiction time) go in ZCML or in Python
package metainfo?

--Paul