[Zope3-dev] zope.formlib and displaying invariant errors

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman jw at infrae.com
Thu Jul 14 04:50:25 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm using zope.formlib (aka zc.page) for rendering (complex) forms. I think this
works out great!

Still there's something I cannot really bend my head arround and that's dealing
with invariant errors. Hopefully my explanation/question is not too fuzzy
because of that...

I think to understand that, upon form submission, the form update() method takes
care of first setting up the (edit or input) widgets, then determining what
action should be called, and just before that validating the user input.

The validation of user input might result in errors validation and/or invariant
errors. This list of (both validation and invariant) errors is then set on the
form and can be used to display feedback to the user.

I'm actually not using this list of errors on the form for rendering end-user
feedback, but the error() method on the indivual rendered widget, in order to
display the feedback message next to the rendered widget.

Wouldn't it make sense to set the validation errors on the errors attribute, and
set the invariant errors on a seperate invariant_errors attribute on the form?
Or maybe there's some other way to get hold of the invariant errors and display
them seperately?

Of course, if I need to explain in more detail what I try to achieve, please let
me know..!

kind regards,
jw

--