[Zope3-dev] Encoding of the PageTemplateFile

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Fri Jul 15 05:49:05 EDT 2005

Andreas Reuleaux wrote:
>>>Some time ago there has been a discussion on Zope3-Users list about specifying
>>>an encoding of the PageTemplateFile like this:
>>>
>>><browser:page
>>>    template="tempalte.pt"
>>>    encoding="utf-8"
>>>/>
>>
>>The encoding of a page template is an intrinsic property of the
>>template itself and not determined by its use.
>>This property should therefore not be specified in a configuration
>>file (there is just a single correct value which must not be "configured"
>>but kept fix).

> OK, I can live with that. But then I want the possibility to
> suppress the xml declaration when the page is sent to the
> browser, because otherwise IE will go into quirks mode.

I've changed the default file encoding for HTML mode of PT's to UTF-8. (rev.
33316) I guess it's a good start for non 'ascii' developers (like me).

Fred pointed out that in HTML mode we can use <meta http-equiv="content-type">
for determining PT's input encoding.

And to conclude, we need the following:

- The code for guessing file input encoding in HTML mode based on the <meta>
declaration. I can do it, but should the code be somewhere inside
PageTemplateFile or inside HTMLTALParser?;
- Some options to suppress/change <?xml ?> and <meta> declarations;

Maybe we need to delay all this changes till Z3.2 (Z3.1.1)?

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru