[Zope3-dev] Formatting dates

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Tue Jul 19 12:47:01 EDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 12:22 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Now that dates have UTC time zones associated with them, will we be
> adjusting how they're displayed in various views? Somehow it
> doesn't seem appropriate to display UTC by default. I'd assume Zope
> would use the server's timezone offset.

Here's an excerpt of me describing our plan for ZC software on IRC,
which Stephan has approved for post-3.1 Zope (taken from http://
zope3.pov.lt/irclogs/%23zope3-dev.2005-07-15.log.html):

GaryPoster    so we already agree on tz-aware storage.  My intent is
to always expect an adapter of request to tzinfo.    20:49
GaryPoster    we plan to have our apps allow specifying tz in the
zope 3 preferences stuff    20:49
GaryPoster    so a logged-in user would have a default timezone    20:50
GaryPoster    This would affect collected timezone-less times from
our forms,    20:50
GaryPoster    and affect the astimezone for the display of the stored
utc datetimes.    20:50
GaryPoster    We're stubbing this for our current apps, since it
hasn't been high-priority enough    20:51

We go on (in the log) to talk about strategies for unauthenticated
users.

Gary