[Zope3-dev] Formatting dates

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Jul 20 09:44:20 EDT 2005

On Jul 19, 2005, at 6:33 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> So this will specifically impact:
>
> - The use of date/time formatters
> - Date/time widgets
>
> Anything else?

I don't think so.

> Since datetime values are immutable, I assume you're envisioning
> that widgets create tz-aware values. With that in mind, I don't
> understand  'collected timezone-less times from our forms'.

Consider the current datetime widgets: we have one that is text-
based, and tiks has one (as does ZC--another thing we should all
share so too many of us don't have to reinvent wheels) based on the
mishoo calendar widget.  The mishoo widget is much more friendly than
a text-only widget (IMO; take it for argument's sake, at least) but
does not collect timezone information (or didn't last time I
checked).  Therefore, it seems reasonable behavior to declare to a
user that their registered timezone will be applied to times they
enter for which they do not specify a timezone.

That application of the user's timezone might be done before the
datetime is actually generated, or with a datetime.replace
(tzinfo=ITZInfo(request)) call.  (The immutable nature of strings,
datetimes, and other similar types doesn't prevent us from performing
operations with them or from replacing one attribute value with
another, of course).

Gary