[Zope3-dev] zope.exceptions.exceptionformatter

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 20 13:49:44 EDT 2005

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I'd like to change Zope 3 to log exceptions using
> zope.exceptions.exceptionformatter.

+1

 > Zope's exceptionformatter formats
> tracebacks with information from __traceback_info__ and
> __traceback_supplement__ variables, which is very useful for debugging
> problems with page templates.  I've made all the necessary changes in my
> own Zope 3 sandbox.  I've also added an option to exceptionformatter for
> displaying module filenames rather than module names, so that old
> concern is gone.

I assume you meant "I've also added an option to exceptionformatter for
displaying module names rather than module file names, so that old
concern is gone.

> However, the place where it's possible to properly install
> exceptionformatter as the traceback generator is inside ZConfig. AFAICT,
> ZConfig tries hard to not import anything from the zope package.

Yes.

 > So I
> don't know how to get my code installed without poking a hole in
> ZConfig.  What should I do?

I don't know and I don't have time at the moment to find out.
Maybe Fred will have an idea.

Ideally, the exeption formatter would be a utility or perhaps
a view that we could somehow arrange for the logging system to use.