[Zope3-dev] Utility Registration was:RE: [Zope3-Users] pluggableauthentication utility

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Sat Jun 18 15:23:29 EDT 2005

Hi Garrett

From: Garrett Smith [mailto:garrett at mojave-corp.com]
> Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:52 PM
> To: dev at projekt01.ch; jim at zope.com
> Cc: zope3-users at zope.org; zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: RE: [Zope3-dev] Utility Registration was:RE:
> [Zope3-Users] pluggableauthentication utility

[...]
> > What do yo think about that? Any other ideas?
>
> It looks like you've identified a common enough use case: PAUs are
> typically used with a common set of plugins. The current PAU design
> accommodates all sorts of use cases that most users would never face.
>
> Rather than add more complexity to the registration process with
> "utilityPolicy" (even though it's an attempt to make things easier for
> the user), I'd suggest creating a SimplePluggubleAuthenticationUtility
> that supported the most common use cases.
>
> Something like this perhaps:
>
> class ISimplePAU(Interface):
>   authentication = Choice(values=('HTTP-Auth', 'Session'))
>   allowUserChangeOnUnauthorized = Bool()
>   principals = Attribute("A PrincipalsFolder plugin.")
>
> This would be far easier to deal with than the current PAU for those
> that don't need PAU's flexibility.

I think this isn't a solution, because of three things:

- You need to do this for every other utility simplification.

- I dont' like to have more then one implementation if not
  absolutly needed only for configuration reason.

- The activation part on the registration process is still
  the same. The most problem is that we implement components
  where using the utility and lookup this utilities by a special
  name or unnamed. But nobody tells you what name should be used
  during registration.

I still think a policy (somthing like a add wizard) whould solve
the problem. Developers can develope the registration process in
a pytho class and register tehm as a "utilityPolicy". Then
administrators or scripters can add the utility witha simple klick
on a "add predefined utility" button.

On nice sideeffect whould be,
You could also add a policy "Add all utility I need for a site".
Or even call this policy during makeSite on your special implementation
of IPossibleSite.

I think this is what we need at the enduser level and should be possible
to implement. Of corse the way we register utilites whould be still
available.

Regards
Roger Ineichen

Projekt01 GmbH