[Zope3-dev] Re: favicon.ico

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 1 15:23:15 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 01:31:32PM +0100, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
| E. Frerich wrote:

| >If you set up a normal Zope3 installation, then normally you get the
| >fine 'z' favicon in your browser. (Yes - you can have your own
| >favicon but that is not the problem here.)
| >
| >Now it is possible that you do something wrong in your Zope3 (may be
| >application) development so Zope reports a system error. Then you get
| >a page with only the message "A system error occurred." I assume this
| >is zope\app\exception\browser\systemerror.pt. Then the browser wants
| >to get the fine 'z' favicon. But now Zope3 can't find the favicon and
| >reports an error.
|
| If you get SystemErrors then your application is broken anyway. Users
| should ideally never see SystemErrors. If they do, your application has
| a bug. Yes, it might be that that the browser can't find the favicon in
| such a case.

Aha, I guess that explains it :-).

Oh, yeah, I do see the Z most of the time.  I just never paid enough
attention to see that I didn't get NotFound errors when I wasn't
looking for some other problem.

BTW, I only use firefox (never IE) but I knew enough about favicon to
ignore the errors when I saw them.

| But what does that matter?

It is extraneous information to read and ignore while looking at the
log (or stdout) for the real problem.

| Your app is broken, you have
| much bigger problems than some favicon.

Yes.

Nonetheless, if someone feels like it, it might be a nice idea to put
a broken-looking favicon in the error page.  Then the distracting
NotFound message goes away and at the same time an alerting icon is
displayed.

-D

--
If your life is a hard drive,