[Zope3-dev] Re: Bug 358/359, 367 fixed

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Fri Mar 4 05:28:39 EST 2005

Hi Tom

Behalf Of Tom Hoffman
> Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 5:58 PM
> To: zope3-dev at zope.org
> Subject: Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Bug 358/359, 367 fixed
>
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:52:19 +0000, Chris Withers
> <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi Roger,
> >
> > Roger Ineichen wrote:
>
> > > It's Not a MUST, but you get a really bad situation if
> you implement
> > > a totaly different concept on a enduser application level.
> >
> > Indeed, this is why I said components from Z3MI should be usable in
> > applications built using Z3. Think like MFC used to be for Windows
> > programming, or Borland OWL if people look back further, or maybe
> > WXWindows...
> >
> > > If some
> > > customers will deep into the roots of the application
> server, they have
> > > to learn it again.
> >
> > Not at all, if the customer is building a Z3 app, they
> should use Z3MI.
> > If the customer is using a CMS built in Z3, that CMS should
> provide a
> > complete interface of its own, even if it does re-use some
> bits of Z3MI...
> >
> For reference, this is what we're doing with SchoolBell.  Most end
> users will download a self-contained application and never see the ZMI
> at all.  Or, you can add the schoolbell package to your Zope 3's path
> and wire it in with ZCML, allowing you to add a whole SchoolBell
> instance to your site via the ZMI.  Once you're "in" the SchoolBell
> instance, the ZMI isn't supported.  You use SchoolBell's interface.
>
> If you're curious, you can explore this further with our new release
> candidate for SchoolBell 1.0:
> http://www.schooltool.org/releases/schoolbell1.0/ ;-)

Thanks for this info, I will try it later on a linux machine;-)

I do not mean there is no reason to do it this way. I was just
proposing, that a custom UI not has to have no relation to the
ZMI. If a custom UI uses the same structure of a ZODB, it's easier
to understand if you switch form one UI to another.

Perhaps I have to ask another question. If you develope a
custom UI. Is there really a reason that I can't manage it in
the ZMI directly? I think a application should be 100% manageable
in a ZMI or in a custom UI. Sure you use only the custom UI
for endusers. But I like it if all application work also in the
ZMI and a custom UI is optional.

Is the SchoolBell also manageable in the ZMI?
(Hm, perhaps I better try it, then asking such question)

If not whats the reason why?

Regards
Roger Ineichen