[Zope3-dev] Re: Javascript functional tests?

Michel Pelletier michel at dialnetwork.com
Tue Mar 8 11:28:42 EST 2005

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:38:38 -0500
> From: Benji York <benji at zope.com>
> Subject: Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Javascript functional tests?
> To: Philipp von Weitershausen <philipp at weitershausen.de>,
>         zope3-dev at zope.org
>
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> > So, in any case, unit tests would have to be executed 'manually',
> > which means through a browser and which also means through every
> > browser that is supposed to be supported, not just your favourite
> > one.
>
> I know this is a bit off topic, but since you mentioned it, I thought
> you might be interested.  I read an article this weekend on Selenium, an
> in-browser functional testing framework: http://tinyurl.com/54pzn.
>
> It currently supports IE on Windows and Mozilla everywhere.  That's not
> quite "every browser", but it is automated.

Selenium is *very* cool, I recommend people check out the quick and convincing
online demos.   we have been debating internally between mechanize and the
Zope 3 based ftesting systems when I found Selenium a couple weeks ago.  I am
working on a Z3 port of the existing Python driver and will hopefully have a
working port after the paris sprint.

It's not necessariy intended to test javascript per se, but an entire web
application visually using a real browser, including the javascript.

-Michel